Friday 17 May 2013

A novice's birding on Principe

A map of the location of the island of Principe - Wikipedia.

Since moving to Principe I've taken up an interest in birding. The bird life is abundant and while staying at the Bom Bom Island Resort the beach is a stone's throw away from my door, as is the jungle. This provides so many opportunities for bird spotting. Yesterday my husband printed a copy of a checklist of the birds of Principe and I've just started to fill it out, including dates and the location of my observations. In the eight weeks we've been here, my most special observation has been a Principe Kingfisher catching a Ghost Crab late one afternoon, which he then beat against a beach recliner arm to kill it.The Principe Kingfisher is only around 10 cm in size and much smaller than the other resident Kingfisher, the Blue-breasted Kingfisher, which I haven't yet managed to spot. 




Principe Kingfisher

Ghost crab on Bom Bom Island Resort beach

Flocks of Grey Parrots flying home for the night are a common sight during the late afternoons at the resort. The resort also has its own hand reared African Grey named Chaplain, who was raised at the resort and flies around freely. Two months ago it was discovered that Chaplain is in fact a female having laid three eggs, though unfortunately none of them have since hatched. She seems quite melancholic as a result. 


Chaplain

Other ticks on my checklist include two Bronze Mannikins who have been nesting in a tree near my unit's deck for the past two weeks, the Principe Sunbird, Principe Golden Weaver, White Cattle Egret and Grey Western Reef Heron. I have a few other penciled in ticks on my list which still need someone a little more experience to confirm for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment