Monday 18 August 2014

Being grateful.

Yesterday marked both the date of our arrival on Principe 18 months previously and the minimum portion of time we had agreed upon spending here. To celebrate reaching our goal, we went out to a local bar to toast with Sagres beers. We have not quite decided what's next and are still unclear how many more months we will be here, but my challenge to myself is to look back on these last 18 months on Principe and count the blessings we've experienced here.

One of the big things I've appreciated is the safety of this small island community, which is so different from the situation back home. I can sit out on my patio in the evening, unconcerned, and enjoy the night air in safety. I'm also grateful for the simple, quiet way of living, unrushed and far from over commited. I feel that it's a way of life closer to how it is meant to be and only being away from the urban rush, do I really see how foreign that kind of life seems now. Financially, this move for Mark's job, has made sense and has set us right on track for the future and lastly, this friendly, small community, made up of expats and local people, has been a great and unexpected blessing for this former city dweller.

This big adventure our family has taken, has opened our eyes to more of what is on offer in this big world of ours and has strengthened us through multiple challenges. I'm grateful for the blessings we have here and I have to admit, the lessons God has brought our way have been important too.

"But I will give repeated thanks to the Lord, praising Him to everyone." Psalm 109 v 30 NLV.

No comments:

Post a Comment